What did you do on your "R" today

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum What did you do on your "R" today

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 261 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Ssssst Andy not to loud!!
    But i have a B and a C and a D hahaha.

@AndyL 2082 wrote:

Again??? :D

How many is that you own now Wout?

1100rAdmin

Brian,

I’ve done this myself and almost thrown the computer out the window. 😡

Tip: Type the article into a text editor (Notepad/Wordpad etc) or word processor application (MS Word etc) and save the document. Then copy and paste onto the Forum and format the article
    for layout and add any pics or attachments. If it stuffs up the hard work is saved and the computer won’t get launched in a fit of rage ;)

Forum Admin

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

The Hampshire Countryside at its best.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1043[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1044[/ATTACH]

BrianC
    Participant

Not technically today, but recently.
    The engine is going together nicely, I’ve got the crankcases together, the barrel is on, getting ready for the clutch. Looking good.
    So it is on the bench, inverted and I pack up for the night. The cover to put over it wasn’t quite the right size so I put a heavy plastic bag lengthwise over it and a towel across it.
    Next morning a short sharp hailstorm followed by rain. No call from the missus to say the house is wet inside, so it’s all good.
    That evening I go to the shed to get tools for another small task, that’s odd – the tools are wet – so is the bench ABOVE the engine – so is the towel ON the engine!!!!! Crap, the shed roof leaked. Fortunately the plastic bag under the towel saved the engine from a soaking. The 1100R god smiled on me today.

Keep calm and carry on, as they say.

SteveB

today i wheeled my bike out of the shed for the 1st time this year, I then fitted my proper 1100 carbs and airbox.
    It starts and runs but ,3 of the 4 carbs are dripping out of the overflow.
    I would normally take it for a blast to try and clear them out, but i cant because i havent got a MOT.
    Only a month to go before Mallory ,i had better get a move on !
    steve

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Brian

I’ve had a engine on my work bench for some time and never covered it with a plastic sheet. Thank goodness you had the thought to use plastic that day!

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Steve

My feeling is that this is caused by evaporation of the fuel in the carbs. If you switch off the fuel when putting the bike away over winter, the fuel in the carbs evaporates leaving small drops that crystallise and gum up the floats and needles. At first start up I always add some fresh fuel to the tank, shake the bike to mix the fuel, open the fuel tap to fill the carbs, leave for 15 mins, switch off the fuel, drain all carbs from the drain screws, switch the fuel on again and leave for another 15 mins before starting.

Not really sure why this works but the bike usually starts well on all four. Before I did this I found the bike would not run very well until I replaced all plugs. (Cleaning them would not solve the issue). I’ve now been using the same plugs for 3 years with no problem. Although I do plan to replace them this year before my trip to The Bikers Classic at SPA.

Nat_P

Steve,

I am no expert, but I suspect that’s a stuck float needle. Running some fresh fuel through the carbs can help, or give the carb a good tap with a rubber mallet, that works sometimes as well.Otherwise you will have to strip and clean.
    Whenever I put my bike away, I always switch off the fuel tap about a mile from home , then when I get home I leave the bike on until the carbs run dry. I was told to do this a long time ago when I first started riding bikes ( like 35 years ago ) and I have never had an issue with gummed up carbs/stuck valves .
    Obviously that doesn’t solve your immediate issue but may be the thing to do in the future.

Regards,

Nat

Nat_P

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1058[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1059[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1060[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1061[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1062[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1063[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1064[/ATTACH]Hi,

So she is finished . Last autumn the braking system was completely overhauled . The paintwork was what let her down . I don’t think Honda built it to last 10 years , let alone 30 years. Its now been completely re-done paying specific attention to getting the colours right and also the right depth of colour, as that’s the real skill. A new saddle completes the job. I think its as far as I am going to go with her as I think its as good as you are going to get a bike without going to museum/bling collection quality, and actually I really don’t think she is that far off that anyway. Underneath the body she was in superb condition so it was just the skin that needed attention. Today went for a quick 25 mile blast, via the local bike garage MOT station. 3 people asked ………..Is it for sale ? Not today sorry. They do attract attention wherever they go. Anyway, now she rides, stops and looks like she should. Some pics for you to look at.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1055[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1056[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1057[/ATTACH]

Regards,

Nat

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Nat

That really is looking good. Are you planning on bringing it up to Mallory for the Festival of 1000 Bikes? I have a few free tickets left for club members. Alternatively it would be great to put on the stand at Stafford in October, are you interested?

StephenS

Looks great

Where did you get the seat as mine needs doing.

Nat_P
    Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen

It may also be worth making contact with WoutV on this forum. He is one of our Dutch club members Wout Van Veldhuizen who had some replacement RC/RD seat covers manufactured. There is a picture in April 2013 R world page 22. The covers are very good quality and made from the same material as the original Honda item. Contact vanveld@hetnet.nl

SteveB

today i have taken my bike for MOT, its the 1st time its been out of the shed this year !. It passed.
    I balanced the carbs yesterday and the dripping seemed to have sorted itself out.
    On the way back from the MOT it started dripping again when parked up and engine stopped.
    It doesnt drip when engine running. Anyway now its on the road i will use it and hope it sorts itself out with use.
    I think Nats idea of turning fuel off a few yards before stopping will help.
    roll on Mallory park.
    steve

Nat_P

Steve,

Not that I know all the rules etc etc, but you need to stop the fuel leaking. If they so much as sniff a fuel leak they won’t let you go on track. Turning the tap to off always stops the fuel leaking as it causes a ” technical vacum ” so to speak.
    My R did it, and I found that it took nearly 100 miles of spirited riding to cure it.
    Good luck
    Regards,
    Nat.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 261 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.