Bhurtpore Classic Bike Show.

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Bhurtpore Classic Bike Show.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Had a nice day at this little classic VJMC show just outside Nantwich in Cheshire. Got the R a bit wet in the showers on the way down but good to get some more miles on the clock. Bumped into another member, Phil Watson there, but he unfortunately wasn’t on his R. No other Rs there but some nice bikes on show despite the dodgy weather. Unfortunately forgot to take camera or phone so no piccies. Bit of a brush up needed now for the old girl but she didn’t disolve in the rain and as I do like cleaning my bikes, all part of the fun.
    Hope the weather gods stay kind to you guys who are attending the IOM meeting. Gutted I can’t make it.
    Have fun.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dropped in to this little Cheshire show again today whilst out for a spin. Unlike last year the weather was fantastic and there was a good turn out of Jap classics to peruse. Like last year, just one R in attendance. Not mine though as I chose my Goldwing this time for the trip. It belonged to Phil Watson, but I didn’t get to bump into him.
    I liked the front brake mods Phil. Looks like a good set up there. What is the story with the bigger oil cooler and the modified end covers on the silencers?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Found some photos from the event on the Z1 Owners Club website. Hope the taker doesn’t mind me posting the link here for you all to see. It is a great little show organised by the South Cheshire section of the VJMC, growing bigger each year and I am sure they will appreciate the publicity. Maybe a few of us with Rs could meet up there next year. Phil Watson’s bike is pictured in 31/60 and 53/60.

http://s298.photobucket.com/user/keith0856/slideshow/vjmc%20alston

JohnS

Andy, Looks like it was a great day. Looking at picture 44/60, Is that a Seeley Honda F2 or a European Honda F2 colour scheme we didnt see in Australia?
    Maybe you can identify.
    Really nice looking RD Phil. : )

JohnS

Anonymous
    Inactive

@JohnS 3295 wrote:

Andy, Looks like it was a great day. Looking at picture 44/60, Is that a Seeley Honda F2 or a European Honda F2 colour scheme we didnt see in Australia?
    Maybe you can identify.
    Really nice looking RD Phil. : )

Hi John, yes it was a good gathering.
    The bike you refer to in picture 44 was produced as part of a marketing ploy by Honda in 1978 to clear the remaining stock of SOHC F2 models prior to the launch of the new DOHC models. In 1977 Phil Read won the IOM Formula 1 TT race and Honda commissioned Colin Seeley to produce bodywork, handle bars and one off exhaust to be fitted along with Girling rear shock absorbers to the standard frames and engines of 400 SOHC bikes. These were then to be sold to the UK only market as Phil Read Replicas.
    Having completed 150 Phil Read Replicas, Mr Read then fell out with Honda regarding the commission that he was to receive from the sales of the bikes and withdrew his permission to allow use of his name, so the PRR production was stopped and the remaining bikes were sold as Honda Britains, painted in white with blue stripe or white with red stripe and a chrome silencer. The bike you see in the picture is one of the 250 Honda Britains produced. So in a nut shell they do have some Seeley input but unfortunately not his lovely frames, just standard 1978 F2 frames, engines and running gear.

[IMG]http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1479&stc=1[/IMG]

As it happens I own one of the 150 Read Reps that were produced and have added a couple of photos of it.They are quite striking in the Red White and Blue colour scheme especially with the original dog leg exhaust still fitted. Great to ride also as long as you remember they are late 70’s bikes with late 70’s frames and brakes.[IMG]http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1477&stc=1[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1478&stc=1[/IMG]

JohnS

Andy,
    Thankyou for that great information. I do vaguely remember reading something about the fallout you mention.
    The bike you own looks fantastic. That is a real treasure!
    The standard F2 750s were a very good bike. At the time I wanted to own one but was always tempted to buy second hand 750K2 machines that at the time flooded the Australian market.

JohnS

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi Andy, anytime you hear of any event that might be of interest can you post it on here..? I might well have had a ride out and met up with you.. :p

Cheers.. Glenn

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.