Carb refurb and slow hot starter

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Carb refurb and slow hot starter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi All, I need some help/advice please.
    Firstly, has there been an article on ‘full’ carburetor refurbishment in one of the mags as stripping them off the butterfly shaft and replacing all the O rings, gaskets etc I know there are special screws needed to refit the butterflies for example but I don’t think they come with a full gasket kit. I also think there is a procedure to align them properly?

Or, does anyone know of a good place to send them to get them done as a turnkey job and how much?

Secondly my starter motor turns the engine over just fine cold but when hot it slows and sometimes even struggles to turn the engine over. I have tried a large copper earth cable from the negative on the battery to the starter case but this had little effect. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a new/refurbed starter and still have the problem.

The bike is now off the road for the winter so I have got some time to strip it down and get it sorted, hopefully for the IOM in August 2014

By the way with Mallory Park now closed I wonder where the VMCC will go next July so we can give the bikes a proper thrashing?

Many thanks
    Simon

Nat_P

Hi Simon

I would send your bike to Slipstream. There guys used to do all the CB1100R’s back in the day and what they dont know isnt worth knowing. I appreciate you are a distance away and the bike is off the road now, but its probably worth you sending it down especially as they will even tune it for you. They look after my 1100R.

http://www.slipstreamtuning.co.uk/

Regards,

Nat.

SteveB

@SimonB 2400 wrote:

Hi All, I need some help/advice please.
    my starter motor turns the engine over just fine cold but when hot it slows and sometimes even struggles to turn the engine over. I have tried a large copper earth cable from the negative on the battery to the starter case but this had little effect. I don’t want to spend a lot of money on a new/refurbed starter and still have the problem.
    By the way with Mallory Park now closed I wonder where the VMCC will go next July so we can give the bikes a proper thrashing?
    Many thanks
    Simon

Simon, I have been told that fitting a Yamaha R6 starter clutch ,is a common and worthwhile mod to our bikes, but i dont have details.
    Maybe somebody on here will have info
    Also I have been told that next years festival of 1000 bikes is at Donnington , cant remember who told me though !
    steve

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi Simon

I have heard there is a guy in Manchester who will completely refurb the carbs. He is happy to supply all the parts if you want to DIY alternatively send him the carbs and he will do the job. I will check the details and let you know.

Starter Motor working well when Cold but not when Hot is a common issue on the 11R. In most cases remove the starter, clean the armature and replace the brushes. Even if the brushes measure within the Honda specification they deteriorate with age so replace them. A pair of brushes is about £11 so a good clean and new brushes is a cheap fix.
    http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB1100R/part_1042/

I see you’ve booked the IOM crossing, there are a lot of us crossing 22nd and returning 29th or 30th. I’m looking forward to the meeting already.

From what I’ve heard Mallory Park is up for sale and as Steve said, there are rumours of the Festival 1000 Bikes being at Donnington next year. That will give you a chance to ride another circuit. (If you can get it started:cool::cool::cool:)

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Simon

These guys can supply keyster carb kits,

http://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk

and these offer a cleaning service

http://www.projex-uk.co.uk

I used a keyster kit on a friends CB900 some time ago, although the butterflies are fixed in place with special screws we reused the screws with loctite and never had any problems. The main difficulty was sorting the springs which I don’t think we could have done without a second set of carbs to copy.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

@Nat_P 2401 wrote:

Hi Simon

I would send your bike to Slipstream. There guys used to do all the CB1100R’s back in the day and what they dont know isnt worth knowing. I appreciate you are a distance away and the bike is off the road now, but its probably worth you sending it down especially as they will even tune it for you. They look after my 1100R.

http://www.slipstreamtuning.co.uk/

Regards,

Nat.

Check out the Slipstream Gallery, Graham Marchant. There are some great pictures of Graham racing his RB and RC. I don’t know what happened to the RB but the RC is now owned by a club member.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to everyone who has sent me some ideas, they are much appreciated. As a result I am going to get some refurb kits from Keyster. This does not include the air shut off diapragms so I am going to leave them for the time being as that requires the carbs to be split and I am only going to do that if I really have to as it sounds ‘tricky’. I am also going to buy a new set of brushes for the starter and add another direct earth to the battery and buy a new battery as it is 2 years old.
    I will be doing the work early next year so I will let you know the oputcome then
    Whoever has got the carb balancing kit I will need that then to

Many thanks
    Simon

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Hate to throw a spanner in the works, but I used those Keyster kits on my 750/4, and they were….well…..rubbish. The float bowl gaskets dissolved when in contact with fuel, and it just wouldn’t tune up properly. I stripped them again and put most of the old bits back in and it ran heaps better. A dyno tune man near me also said to throw away the kits and get only original, as he had nothing but trouble with them. Jet sizes are only very approximate to their stamping. But I’m sure there are others who have used them and had no issues. Peter.

SteveB

I remember about the R6 starter clutch now, It was on the CB900F Facebook page, and it was written by Carl Roberts ,
    Carl has his picture on page 21 of septembers practical performance bikes,
    I have jumped to the conclusion its the same Carl Roberts who is a member on here ?
    steve

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.