Coils ?

Tagged: ,

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    StephenS

My 1100RC When started fires unevenly and not on all 4 but after a short while gets going on all 4. I have had the bike a year, last time I had a bike was a CBX1000/CX500 back in 82. The CBX back then suffered with coil failure’s, I was figuring this might be the same problem here ?. The carbs have been cleaned and I intend to fully strip and rebuild the carbs over the winter. Bike is low mileage (but not always a good thing).

Second question the exhaust is not in good nick and I want to replace with something that is near original if possible.

Third question any body here live near Nottingham

thanks

steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Steve,

I don’t live in Nottingham, but my folks do and two of my R’s are garaged up there at the moment. Will be up there again next week.

Re. starting unevenly- is this only after the bike has had a long layup or do you find this more regularly?. A while ago when I lived in Australia
    my UK bikes were garaged up for most of the year and only run in summer. I often found they would only start on one or two before eventually firing up on all four. The solution seemed to be to replace new plugs each year. Once the plugs have been fouled with petrol they seem to be near useless.

Re. Exhaust.. is that a rusted out original system you have there by chance ?

SteveG

DickH

Hi Steve(s),

Surely this is the normal 1100R starting problem after a short/long layoff?

The Handbook really ought to have the following instructions:
    1 Turn on the Petrol
    2 Go into kitchen, fill kettle, boil, make a pot of tea, wait for it to brew and then drink tea.
    3 Return to garage and press the Starter button.

Follow these instructions (give it 5+ minutes for the petrol to fill the carbs) and then it will fire up properly.
    You will be amazed just how long it takes to fill those carbs!!!

Try it…….

Dick H

StephenS

Thanks guys.

Fires poorly on most starts e.g. after 24 hours takes a minute leave it a week few minutes to get going properly. Just had new plugs and carbs cleaned but not fully but will do voer winter.

Exhaust is not original but close

Thanks for the comments

steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

If I don’t start mine for a couple of days it takes 30s to fire on all four … As Dick says .. turn fuel on and give it a couple of mins. . : )

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

I never turn my petrol off and find it starts much better.

BrianC
    Participant

Many forumites (on another which shall nameless) site wax lyrical about the benefits of putting on cbr600 coils onto the 1100/900. Better sparks etc etc, 7 billion gigavolts or something (that may be exaggerating). Anybody had good experiences with the 600 coil mod?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Interesting.. not heard of that.. but the logic that modern parts perform better makes sense… as long as they are compatible with
    the old machine. Don’t S’pose you can over spark an engine:rolleyes:

Mind you… 7 Billiion Gigavolts might do it !! :eek::eek:

Anonymous
    Inactive

@BrianC 1258 wrote:

Many forumites (on another which shall nameless) site wax lyrical about the benefits of putting on cbr600 coils onto the 1100/900. Better sparks etc etc, 7 billion gigavolts or something (that may be exaggerating). Anybody had good experiences with the 600 coil mod?

I have now 2 cb bikes with the cbr coils and i,m very satisfied about the results.
    The bimota R has a much better spark and the bike is starting faster and easier.
    It,s a cheap and easy modification, the coil is a bit shorter as the stock cb coil.

StephenS

Give me a shout before you come up as live between Nottingham and Grantham.

Interesting point about coils will give this a try.

intend to put new exhaust over winter and ideas ?

thanks

steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.