Engine splitting

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Engine splitting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    AndyL

Ok, work this through with me and forgive my blatant ignorance with regards to essential mechanical detail.

If I have an engine that I can split the cases on but cannot separate from what appears to be welded on barrel (I know it isn’t actually welded on but it might as bloody well be), can I remove all of the inner workings by splitting the crankcases and remove such things as gearbox, crank, rods and pistons etc from beneath?

Will the cases split if the barrels can’t be removed?

Probably daft thinking but in my defence I am a mechanical dunce.

Thanking you all in advance for going easy on me

:D

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Andy

I have never taken an 1100 engine apart so I may be wrong. However I have a 900 engine in pieces in front of me.

I believe you should be able to take the crank cases apart without removing the barrels and then yes you will be able to remove the gearbox and shafts from the bottom. You should then be able to remove the big end nuts from the connecting rods which will allow you to part the big ends and thus take the crankshaft out. Obviously this will leave the pistons and con rods still in the barrels but my thinking is it will be possible take the pistons complete with rods from the top of the barrel.

My guess is then an engineering shop would be your best option for the offending barrel complete with top case.

Good luck my friend

PaulA

Andy
    this is possible I have evidence in the attic to back this up

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.