Macau Grand Prix 2016

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Macau Grand Prix 2016

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIcEnI0_Yk

Hello all, just a quick post to say that this year (3rd week in November) will be the
    50th anniversary of bike racing at the Macau GrandPrix.

We got invited to go out and ride some of Ian Fosters race bikes around the course in 2006 (40th anniversary) in the company of past Macau winners – Rocket Ron, Michael Rutter, Kevin Schwantz, Mick Grant etc. – Pit passes, grid walks and all in all we had a blast..!!

The organisers treated us well, invited us all to the hospitality dinner, gave us laser glass replicas of the original winning Yamaha and put us in the same hotel as the race stars.

It was a pretty awesome event.. :D

Thought I’d mention it here just in case anyone has any plans to be out that way in November 2016 – I reckon we’ll be invited again. 😮

A couple of pics from 2006 attached below:-

JohnS

Booked my accommodation last night, as reasonable priced accommodation is almost gone already.

Change my vote from definately interested to count me in…Im going

JohnS

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi John, the organisers got us into the same place as the guest ex winners last time we went – wher are you travelling from…?

Cheers.. Glenn

JohnS

Glenn…Travelling from Australia. I wasnt prepared to take the risk of that not happening Glenn. Most accommodation is already sold out and what was still available was $A3k – $A4k for the 9 nights. however there were a few, (3 yesterday), rooms left at $1200 for 9 nights includes breakfast and free cancellation up to 8th of November.

JohnS

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi, from memory I think we were only in Macau from Friday to Monday..?
    Where have you booked…?
    Cheers Glenn

JohnS

Hi Glenn,

I last spoke to Ian in January regarding the event. The opening of celebrations is Sat 12th until the GP on Sun 19th Nov. That was the info I recieved, but will confirm with Ian as soon as I can.

I booked into the Golden Crown China Hotel Taipa, which I noted is close to the airport but I will take my chances.

JohnS

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

OK.. so now it’s official….50 years of biking at Macau is definitely a ‘GO’.
    Start planning those SE Asia ‘business’ trips now folks…��
    I might be struggling to make the 60th parade though..��

JohnS

Due to unavoidable work complications I will not be able to attend Macau
    I still have my 9 day booking at The Golden Crown Hotel, however.
    If anyone going, needs accommodation at a very reasonable rate
    please contact me.
    JohnS

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

That’s a real shame John – was looking to catch up too… :-(

I’m only there over the race weekend for 4 days and staying central at the race team hotel…

Maybe another year then… :-) ??:confused:

JohnS

Glenn…I was also looking forward to catching up with you. I enjoyed reading about your recent touring in Norway. My whole family are feeling my disappointment at the moment as they knew how much I was looking forward to it.

JohnS

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.