My wrecker engine isn’t quite all that

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum My wrecker engine isn’t quite all that

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    AndyL

This ‘bargain’ I bought a few years ago isn’t quite the bargain I had hoped it would.

So, quick question. Would an 1100F crank work in an R case?

And does anyone have some spare conrods and cams kicking about?

Cheers

Andy

Anonymous
    Inactive

I may be able to help you out on the rods and cams. I think that I have some stashed away in some cobweb encrusted cardboard box.

Offshore at present but will see what is there when I get home.

Anonymous
    Inactive

May even be a crank in there somewhere.

AndyL

Well you might just be a life saver Mr J…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Don’t get too excited yet. The parts are not NOS but came as part of a “little transaction” involving R bits and associated memorabilia that I made many years ago. The fact that they are from an engine that I suppose must have once ran but for some reason unnown to me required them to be removed may mean that they may not now be servicable. I didn’t take a lot of notice of the condition and just put the parts into the spider inhabited abyss where hopefully they still reside safely. I seem to remember that one of the rods looked as if it had been heated up. Pretty sure the cams were in good nick though.

I’ll send some piccies and further details as I say, on my return.

AndyL

Thanks Andy… I should have put a bold and italic on that ‘just’ in my first reply… I long ago learnt not to count any chickens etc

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Andy

If Mr J has all the parts you require hidden away then problem solved but just in case.

In answer to your original question I believe the 11F crank and rods will fit the R cases. In fact I am sure Keith from the CBF club has a 900 crank and rods in one of his 1100 F engines, so that too may be an option if all else fails.:confused:

To fit the 900 parts I would think you will also need the 900 primary chain, primary chain tensioner and primary drive but I’m sure Keith has done it and it will work. Drop Keith a mail he’ll be happy to help. When I spoke to Keith about this he said apparently it’s a common modification on race 11F engines because the smaller primary chain wheel on the 900 crank means the 900 crank is less likely to bend.

Steve Doyle
    Keymaster

Andy, If using the a 900 crank, you will also need to use the 900 starter clutch. The 1100 spline is larger. Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

[ATTACH=CONFIG]275[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]272[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]274[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]273[/ATTACH]

Well I have finally managed to evict the hordes of spiders and other creepy crawlies and dragged out the box of bits. Amazing it was, I had forgotten what was in there. A full top end and gearbox.
    Anyhow, regarding what you are seeking, Cams and Rods.
    After checking the condition of the various parts I can only assume that the reason the engine was stripped was probably an oil issue. Evidence from parts that I don’t have as opposed to what I do have leads me to think that there was probably a crank failure at some time and a resulting loss of oil pressure. I don’t have the crank or it’s stashed somewhere else, unlikely. I also do not have the cases which again maybe points to some proper damage to the bottom end of the motor. From the pictures of the cylinder head, I think you will see that the valve lifter tops on the exhaust look a deeper colour to the inlet lifters. This though may be normal as they are on the exhaust side, I am not sure. One of the bearing journals does show some markings and it is possible that something may have picked up. The exhaust cam also shows some markings on a couple of bearing surfaces, not terminal in my opinion but probably requiring some engineering firm input, probably metal spraying and machining.
    There are 4 x MA3 rods with undamaged pistons and rings that appear servicable. One piston is tight on its pin but I suspect not an issue, just a bit of oil required. The rods look darker at the big ends which again leads me back to possible crank issues and overheating.
    I would advise personal inspection ideally as I am not an expert but from what knowledge I have picked up over my biking carreer the parts could be used if you turn up nothing better. Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear. If you need further info or better pictures (ooooooohh) then let me know. Give me a ring if that is easier. My number is in R World.

@AndyL 238 wrote:

Thanks Andy… I should have put a bold and italic on that ‘just’ in my first reply… I long ago learnt not to count any chickens etc

Anonymous
    Inactive

[ATTACH=CONFIG]278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]277[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]276[/ATTACH]

Forgot the rod pictures. Here they are.

AndyL

Thanks Andy.

I will compare them with my engine parts and get back to you. I know that my pistons and rings appear in good shape so could use those, but what is the inherent problem for a rod in the scenario that your engine appears to have been through? Is it warping or potential weakness? Do rods snap?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Without knowing the history I can not say exactly Andy. From visual inspection they appear sound apart from the change in colour. I also have the barrels from the engine and there is no damage at all to be seen. Hence, I do not think that there has been a seizure where large forces have acted on the rods.

My suggestion would be for you too see the parts for yourself next time we meet up before you make any decisions.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]279[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]280[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]281[/ATTACH]

DavidB

Andy

are these parts still for sale?

A list of exactly what is available to my personal email

David@davebooth.ca please

DavidB

Have these parts been sold?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.