Painting the switch lettering

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Painting the switch lettering

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Peter Hunt
    Participant

Can I just say if you ever want to paint the lettering on your switches….don’t! Man what a job. My bike had zero paint on the letters when I bought it 12 or 13 years ago, so decided it needed a spruce up.
    Tried a few different methods, but what worked best was thinly applying some paint to the non-bristle end of a brush, allowing it to go off a bit, and then rolling across the letters. It didn’t always go perfectly so wiped off and did again. I decided to give it one coat and if it was hit and miss (which it was) give it a second coat later, rather than keep at it wet which inevitably smudged it where I didn’t want it.
    Also got a #1 brush for some delicate touch ups.
    So these pics are after one application. In some ways it’s almost in keeping with the patina of the rest of the bike haha, but of course I’ll make it a bit better.
    Trying to do it with brush alone tested my patience for about an hour, but I gave up.
    Indented letters are a hell of a lot easier than raised ones….fill with paint and lightly wipe over with a bit of turps. I’ve also done my 750 switches.
    Good way to wile away a couple of hours with the music cranked up so nobody can hear my swearing 😄

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

10 out of 10 for perstence though Peter… 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.