RC / RD mirrors

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum RC / RD mirrors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JohnS

Just a small but annoying problem. One mirror is very loose at the adjusting ball joint on my RC. Is there a nut to tighten this behind the glass?
    Not really keen on doing delicate surgery involving glass unless there is a strong chance of success, and knowing the chances of replacing a chrome mirror are virtually zero.
    Any suggestions?
    JohnS

BrianC
    Participant

There is stuff inside to dismantle the assembly, the little bolt MAY have come loose. I rebuilt mine as the glass was toast (along with accident damage to the housing). I ended up breaking the glass to get it out and without stuffing the plastic ring thing. I had a local glass place make up two newies, cost 20 or $30. Tip if you go down the break glass method – tape all over the glass a) for safety reasons and b) it keeps the glass in one piece and is easier to use as the template. They can be removed without this destruction (apparently). lots of lube and patience. I thought I had both, but nope it didn’t work for me. A skillful panel job by a classic vehicle restorer and a rechrome gave me two smikko looking mirrors.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Brian, do you have any “Before” and “After” pics to post up ? Would be interesting to see results.
    BrianC
    Participant

Before is pretty low quality, I can do afters. Didn’t even think to get good before shots. The previous owner had dropped it at some point resulting in some dents and heavy scratching to (mainly) one mirror. So he got them roughened up and filled the dents with bog and then painted them white. They looked pretty crappy. The only photo I have is a low quality shot which just shows err, white mirrors. When I removed the paint I found the bog and scratched chrome – an ugly scene. A classic vehicle restorer was recommended to me by the chroming place as they work a lot together on various chrome trim restorations. When I picked up the repaired and chromed shells, I couldn’t believe it. The only things missing were the plastic bags and the little bits of paper with the magical -MA3- numbers. I couldn’t see any marks, the stamped numbers are still visible on the shells (so it hasn’t got 1/2″ of chrome over it). I must learn to take more photos. Apart from the IoM, I have quite a few of that place!!
    [IMG]http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1712&stc=1[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1711&stc=1[/IMG]

JohnS

Amazing transformation Brian, well done and thanks for the info.
    JohnS

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Brian, i have a set of mirrors i need to get chromed, how easy was it to remove the mirror glass?

Keith

BrianC
    Participant

Keith, as I noted I ended up breaking mine to get them out. When it comes to it, the getting back in is easy, so you’d think the getting out wouldn’t be too hard. I have seen a description of someone doing it, may have been on the 1100F site. I think if you had a sucker thing to hold the glass it would allow you to pull back on the shell and ease them apart easily (more easier?). Without it you get something thin (I used feeler gauges) in behind the mirror surround (carefully) and work around. Trouble is it pops back in pretty quick and any effort to work one side makes the other side wedge in tighter. The call to break it wasn’t too hard as the glass was crap anyway. I did find the OEM glass had tape over the back – maybe to stop shattering in a prang. The glass is 3mm thick and the local glazier had no trouble cutting me two. They are both the same, just mirror images (boom boom).

JohnS

After reading that Brian, I think I will just settle for the araldite fix on my floppy mirror. Maybe some time in the future.

JohnS

JohnS

Brian,
    I decided to give mine to a so called professional in car and motorcycle mirrors. He also broke the glass getting it out, but made me a copy.
    But he stripped the thread where the bolt attaches the mirror to the mount. (How could he do that is beyond me).
    So I got it back in pieces a week later.
    I could have done the job properly myself…..lesson learnt.

JohnS

BrianC
    Participant

Oh man – I feel your pain. I hate that when you are convinced someone else can do it better and then something like that happens.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.