RC restoration – Paint colours codes

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum RC restoration – Paint colours codes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Steve Doyle
    Keymaster

Hi,
    Due to the exhaust Camchain tensioner bolt tread stripping, I’m finally getting around to restoring my RC (previously AlexH’s).
    The colour code label has gone miising from the frame. Can someone please advise of the colour codes for the RC.
    Thank you in advance. Steve

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Steve,
    I do not have the actual codes to hand at present but I understand that the RB and RC red is Monza Red and the white is Cortina white. The blue I am unsure of. I will have a further check try and come up with some codes for you. Unless you are planning to apply the paint yourself though, I would think that most reputable paint companies will be able to match the colours with little difficulty.
    The RD is a different kettle of fish though I am led to believe, in that the final appearance of the colours does not actually show until the top lacquer type coat is applied.

@SteveD 243 wrote:

Hi,
    Due to the exhaust Camchain tensioner bolt tread stripping, I’m finally getting around to restoring my RC (previously AlexH’s).
    The colour code label has gone miising from the frame. Can someone please advise of the colour codes for the RC.
    Thank you in advance. Steve

Steve Doyle
    Keymaster

Hi, Andy,
    Thank you for the colour codes. Only after posting, did I find the codes in the Parts Catalogue, but it doesn’t include the blue. I would never dream of doing the paintwork myself. Mechanics yes, painting no! Cheers Steve.

PhilipC

Hi – sorry but could you clarify these paint codes? I want to have an RB professionally re-sprayed and would appreciate a list of all the paint codes, including frame, shocks, forks, etc.. Should the frame be stove-enameled, powder coated or just sprayed? Cheers, Phil.

AndyL

@PhilipC 322 wrote:

Hi – sorry but could you clarify these paint codes? I want to have an RB professionally re-sprayed and would appreciate a list of all the paint codes, including frame, shocks, forks, etc.. Should the frame be stove-enameled, powder coated or just sprayed? Cheers, Phil.

Hi Phil,

A point of caution re powder coating the frame. Most of the stock reds that the coating shops use look very close to the stock 1100R – that is until you put them side by side when you see that the coater’s red has a more “orange” look to it… it is closer to a Yamaha red, whereas the Honda is more scarlet. I have put it quite a lot of time with my local coaters Aerocoat in St Olaves to get the right match and they are closer now although not perfect. I can’t speak for the stove finish and obviously paint gets bang on if you use the Honda colours.

Just a point for you to bear in mind to save you making the same expensive mistake that I did. If you’re not that fussed then no worries… but you know how stiff these ‘enthusiasts’ can get about this sort of thing.

:)

PhilipC

Thanks for the information – it matters to me. If I’m going to the trouble, I would like it right. Are you in/ near Norwich? Because I live in Woodbridge nr. Ipswich. Is Aerocoat, St Olaves near Gt Yarmouth?

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Phil

I have just put all the paint codes I have in the garage tips part of the forum.

1100rAdmin

Hi Steve, Phil, et al …

For as long as I have been interested in these bikes (quite a long time :):)!!) the question of paint colours is a perenial question asked on various forums. So as you are the first to ask on this new club forum it inspires me to record for the convenience of all our present and future members the paint codes for the three models. The BLUE on both RC and RD are the colours most have trouble identifying but a few club members have had colour matching done in the past.

NOTE>>> I don’t have the RD Blue codes… can someone please complete this so we have all the info together. Also, any corrections or other suggestions
    that members may have tried and tested which may be of use to anyone doing a repaint job in the future.

I will create a special info page for paintcodes and respray information shortly once we have all this together.

RB Red ……. Monza Red, R-110 Frame, Tank, Fairing bodywork, Front mudguard (Fender)
    RB White ….. NH111 Cortina White Tank, Fairing bodywork
    RB Gold …… Ford Solar Gold – Engine covers ( Confirmed by GlennK and RoyK)

RC Red ……. R110 Monza Red Frame, Tank, Fairing bodywork, Front mudguard (Fender)
    RC White ….. NH111 Cortina White Tank, Fairing bodywork
    RC Blue ….. VW LL5T gloss blue Fairing Bodywork
    (Note: Volkswagen colour match from Leonard Brooks paints 012 417 501 as researched by Gary Wise..)
    RC Gold …… Ford Solar Gold Engine Covers

RD Red ……. R110 Monza Red Frame
    RD Red ….. Candy Alamona Red-U, R-124C-U Tank, Fairing bodywork, Front mudguard (Fender)
    RD White …. Pearl Shell White, NH-121P-A, ank, Fairing bodywork
    RD Blue …. HELP !! this one is missing !! 😡
    RD Gold …… HELP !! this one is missing !! 😡

RD Silver ….. Cloud Silver Metallic, NH-35M, Swing arm and rear brake stay

Other codes – All models –
    Matt Black, NH-105 Rear mudguard (Fender), Battery box
    Black, NH-1, Sidestand

AndyL

Phil,

Yes mate, I’m and Norwicher one of three (make that four now you’ve joined) East Anglians… we’re an isolated bunch out this far east aren’t we?

Aerocoat are near Yarmouth so not a huge distance to travel. They have colour samples on their walls now so you can easily see the difference in the reds… and theirs is very good. You would be best photograph what you give them before you leave it though as they can be a bit slapdash in labeling up whats what… I nearly ended up with a DT125 frame when I went to pick up my XT600 frame from therm. But saying that, quality and price is excellent.

NiccoloP

As mentioned elsewhere I’m in the process of starting my RD rebuilt and (as some of you already know) I need to repaint the whole fairing.
    I do have all the paint codes I need (thanks to this forum and its cool members), still I need some help.

Apparently we have 2 options here:

1 – RS (uk) http://www.rsbikepaint.com . They offer a 3 stage solution: PAINT, BASEPAINT, LAQUER. Do you know the quantities I should order for any of the 3 components of any of the 3 colour (RED, BLUE and WHITE)?

2 – RH (de) http://www.motorradlack.de. I haven’t found infos about the procedures. Still 3 stage paint? if so, again, do you know the quantities I need to order?

FINALLY: opinions on which of the 2 options is the best and why?

thanks
    Niccolò

Nat_P

Niccolo,

Re-paint is not that straight forward to replicate I am told. Take the white on an RD. Its not just a case of spraying pearl white on the bike. It needs a silver undercoat to make it more pearl aparently. Same with the gold engine covers, its not just gold paint.

Speak to Lee at Motopaint, he has just painted mine for me. Have a look at the pictures on the ” what have you done on your R today section.

Linky to Lee.

http://www.motopaint.co.uk/

Good luck
    Regards,
    Nat.

NiccoloP

Hey Nat, I checked the pics of your shiny fairing and it’s a very nice job!
    may I ask you how much you paid for the complete bodywork?
    thanks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Niccolo

Given the challenges of getting this exactly right without having a painter who nows the bike, or a bike to copy, I reckon it is seriously worth considering getting
    your bodywork over to the UK to Lee @ Motopaint or one of the other paint techs. I’m happy to assist at this end for you with some logistics. Another mess up on
    your paintwork will cost much more than the shipping from Rome and back I’m sure so you know you’ll get it right this way.

I’m still interested in clubbing together on a GOLD paint job for the engine covers
    once we have a few interested.

Nat… did you get your cover done yet ?

NiccoloP

Hey Steve
    today i have a meeting with another painter which already did some good job for me and he’ll tell me if capable of doing a nice job or not.
    if not (he’d tell me) I’m seriously considering motopaint

…I’m just wondering, do they have proper RD graphic layout?

NiccoloP

Hi everyone, yesterday I finally decided to go on with the painter I know here in Rome.
    He’s quite optimistic but he need some measuring of the tank layout (that was completely messed by the previous painter.
    in particular i need the following measures (cm or inches):

1- from the base of the filler cap [ATTACH=CONFIG]1068[/ATTACH] to the (ideal) line connecting the 2 extremities [ATTACH=CONFIG]1067[/ATTACH]

2- the distance between the 2 extremities [ATTACH=CONFIG]1070[/ATTACH]

3- the distance between the 2 red graphics (if regular all the way long, otherwise some reference point)[ATTACH=CONFIG]1069[/ATTACH]
    4- between the base of the cap and the red line[ATTACH=CONFIG]1073[/ATTACH]

5- beginning[ATTACH=CONFIG]1075[/ATTACH] middle [ATTACH=CONFIG]1076[/ATTACH] end [ATTACH=CONFIG]1072[/ATTACH] of the bottom white stripe

more to follow in the next post (cause max number of pics)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.