RD engine covers colour

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum RD engine covers colour

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    AndyL

Howdo all,

An RD owner from the US has contacted me to ask if anyone can advise a paint colour for the RD engine covers – can anyone help?

Do we have a sticky somewhere with this sort of info? It would be handy to get an agreed set of paint colours up (apologies if I have missed this somewhere on here).

Regards

Andy

SteveB

http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/content.php?210-R-Paint-codes

yes there is a sticky, but the colour you want is the only colour missing !
    steve

Nat_P

Hi,

I know its not the same as having the actual name ( like say Ford Harvest Gold ), but if you have an original cover, then I am sure there are plenty of body places that can take a small sample and scan the colour and match it. I know my prefered car body shop can do this.
    Like I said, it wont have a name that it can be refered by, but if you will get a paint code that can be ordered again and again.
    Now all you need to do is ensure you have an original cover that’s the original colour to match.
    Just a though.

Regards,

Nat.

AndyL

Steve,
    Thanks for the sticky (feel daft I didn’t see it in the first place)

Nat,
    I think the bloke from the US is concerned it might not be an original colour on his covers and wanted to know if there was a known colour. He has been investigating getting it powder-coated but can’t find an off the shelf powder that looks even remotely close. He can get a mix done but apparently they wanted a paint name to match to.

Thanks for the advice though.

Regards

Andy

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Gold on the RD engine covers is not normal paint. It’s a process involving some special lacquers. I got this information
    recently from a guy that researched it… then tested it on his casings…. the only problem is … I didn’t write it down at the time
    and for the moment the ol’ memory cells arent’ firing in the right order… so I’ll update as soon as they come back online
    (sorry.. :confused: must be the last few days of being out of it with some knockout virus!! )

You notice that the Gold is often faded and nearly always a slightly different shade on different bikes. That’s not what a normal
    paint would do! I have a NOS crank cover here in a box, and it’s a much richer colour than many you see on the 30 yo RD’s .

All I have to do now is remember the information:confused::confused: …. doah !!!:o

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Andy

Ian (Westy) Western has done some research into the RD Gold. His covers have been painted and they look to me to be very original. When I was talking with Westy at Mallory he mentioned something about the lacquers making up the final colour so check with Ian where he got his painting done.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Aaar yes. Thanks for slapping my memory cells back into order Trev:confused::confused:…. that was Westy who told me about the special lacquer job!!
    😮 We were looking at his RD at Mallory.
    Will be sure to get Westy on the forum to post up some info shortly.

Ian_W

Hi Everyone, the Gold is indeed a lacquer. There is no paint involved at all so I wouldn’t bother trying to match it up. The work was done by a very clever gentleman in the West Midlands (Cradley Heath). His name is Lee and he owns a company called Motopaint. http://www.motopaint.co.uk/ Don’t forget to tell him I sent you :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great info Westy. I’ll get this posted up on this site the Paint section.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had a quick chat to Lee today at Motopaint. Would be best to batch together a few engine casings if anyone wants to get theirs done as the lacquer for this technique is quite expensive and he needs to mix a certain quantity to get it right. If doing one small timing cover most the the laquer would end up in the spray booth than on the cover itself.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a NOS alternator cover that I will get Lee to colour match on the lacquer to get it spot on for those that are interesting in getting any done.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.