Removing advance/ retard mechanism?

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Removing advance/ retard mechanism?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PhilipC

Help much needed! I need to remove the advance/retard mechanism for the end of the crank (CB1100RB). Is the 12mm securing bolt left-hand thread? I note it is a different part number to the 900F/ 1100F?? Any ideas? The cam turns freely so I guess there is a woodruff key that has sheared? Help much appreciated.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i’d have to pull the cover off my bike to check…but i’m sure it’s just held on by the 10mm bolt in the centre…the big nut locates with 2 tangs into the crank. it’s there just for when you need to turn the moto for doing valves or timing cams.
    http://www.cb1100f.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=685

try this link..click on ignition system…it’s for the 900..but it’s the same:D

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 12 mm bolt has right-hand thread.
    Never try to turn the crank on this engine side.
    For turning the crank always remove the alternator cover on the right.

Good luck,

Wout

@PhilipC 1891 wrote:

Help much needed! I need to remove the advance/retard mechanism for the end of the crank (CB1100RB). Is the 12mm securing bolt left-hand thread? I note it is a different part number to the 900F/ 1100F?? Any ideas? The cam turns freely so I guess there is a woodruff key that has sheared? Help much appreciated.

PhilipC

Hi – thanks for confirming that the bolt (12m head/ 8mm shaft diam.) is right hand thread – at least I haven’t been tightening it! I cannot remove it without the risk of it shearing. I have found that the 2 little lobes on the advance/ retard fly-weights have sheared – these locate in the slots behind the cam and that’s why the cam rotated freely. I have managed to remove the springs and remove the 2 fly-weights and fit replacements without undoing the offending bolt. But … I think the cam is now 180 degrees out and the fly-weights cannot now be removed (the old ones could be removed because the little lobes were sheared). So now I am stuck! I was wondering if I swapped the plug leads around if it would compensate?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.