Speedometer whine

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Speedometer whine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JohnS

I regularly ride both Rs but was puzzled a week ago by a very loud noise coming from the front, of my RD, then also on my RC,…initially thought it was wheel bearings. After investigation coincidentally both speedos had dried out at the same time. These speedos are extremely rare, i dont think ive ever seen one for sale, so message to others to be aware of this small regular maintenance detail….WD40 sprayed into the internals every now and again fixes it completely.

JohnS

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the tip John

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Hi John, when I first got that noise in my RC it scared the crap out of me, also thought it was a wheel bearing at first…the noise gets trapped by the fairing and amplifies it (?). I disconnected the cable on the side of the road and problem fixed. In my typical “I must do something about that soon” it is still disconnected haha. I will get the WD40 in there…..soon.
    Peter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all,

I just got the ‘speedo whine noise’ and like others here it scared the carp out of me initially – I note the WD40 on the internals tip, but wanted to ask did you pull the actual speedo gauge apart? or put the wd40 into the inlet where the cable screws in? I have the speedo out of the dash and could go either way but was a little hesitant to pull the gauge itself apart without any guidance/instructions.

Cheers

Stan

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Hi Stan, I think I remember just spraying up into the cable hole, and did the cable as well. I’ve since had the speedo and tacho overhauled anyway….although neither was done very successfully and I got my money back.
    As least I don’t have any screeching.
    Peter.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Peter
    Greatly appreciated – I’ll see how I go.
    Cheers
    Stan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.