Welding exhaust system

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Welding exhaust system

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MarkS

Has anybody managed to do this successfully? I have already decided to bit the bullet and buy a stainless copy but would like to repair the original system and store it. The entire system is in greta condition apart from one area of the right hand silencer just rear of the balancer pipe. My welder tells me it is a double layer of different metals so cannot be welded.
    534894-DD-EA97-4-BCB-8-C42-320959812-CB3.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Mark,

This sort of weld up repair has been done successfully by a number of people over the years. I”m currently looking for someone to do mine after a previous welder I used has retired and no longer does any work. I made a special jig so the whole muffler can can be separated from the downpipes and then welded back in exactly the correct orientation. What is usually needed is a replacement section, like a cone, to replace a section of the muffler as it will be rusted out a lot on the inside. If you just try to fill weld it you’ll just end up seeing the rust break out again within a few months. It can be done… it’s been an ongoing issue with me to get someone who can do this as a service to members. Not got there yet.

MarkS

I wait with bated breath!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.