Fairing bolts

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum Fairing bolts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Nat_P

Hi Trev,

If you are going to lend us your bolts, then if you prefer you can send them to Phil yourself if you want to cut out the middle man & it might expedite things a little. That way you can also find out how long they will have your bolts for. I will take a full set ( 4 fairing , 4 rear seat/fairing and 2 rear seat/cowl ) and as soon as we find out how much I am happy to transfer funds to your a/c. Failing that I am happy to do it.
    Happy to do whatever suits everyone best.
    If you do end up sending them to me first, as soon as I find out exact pricing/dets I will take orders on here.

Regards,

Nat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think my spare fairing bolts are up in the other garage (300 miles away) with the RD:confused:. Will be up there next week if I don’t find them here
    tomorrow. Will keep you posted Trev / Nat .

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi Guys

I have the 3 bolts, 10-11 required by SteveB & 25 required by NatP which I am happy to lend to Phil Denton Engineering as a pattern.
    My view is, if we are going to copy these bolts then we should copy them with the standard slot head but in Stainless so they don’t rust like the original items. Since NatP has already made contact with Phil Denton then for me it would make sense for NatP to continue with the project. If we can all agree then I will send the bolts to NatP and we can get things started.

Nat_P

Hi,

Thanks Trev, I will be happy to do it. Will send bolts registered post to ensure they don’t go walkies.
    ( I know titanium allen head bolts would have been nice , but I’ve heard nothing back from fairingbolt so guess they dont want the business.)
    Stick with Phil and originality.
    Guess the next step is to ask, who else wants a set ?

Regards,
    Nat.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

I’ve just packed up the bolts and will post them to Nat tomorrow. Hopefully then we can get a quote from Phil Denton and all get the bolts we require.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]876[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]877[/ATTACH]

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi Trev – did I miss something here – thought all these were still available from Honda..?

Cheers.. Glenn

DavidB

I would appreciate a set or two as well

David (in Canada)

StephenS

Same here for a set as well

thanks

steve

Nat_P

Hi Glenn,

I have tried to get replacement bolts. To my knowledge its only the rear fairing bolts that are available. The seat cowl and front fairing are not.( unless you know something I don’t )
    Thats why i was looking to get a set made, so that at least they will all look the same.
    Regards
    Nat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glenn is possibly right, or at least partially right as the cowl screws and seat unit screws were available from Honda when I last checked. This thread started with a requirement for the other two screws under the upper fairing. Anyone checked the availability of this part with Honda.

At the moment I took this to be an exercise in getting a cost for manufacture, which at some quantity is likely to be cheaper than buying from Honda. Wether
    that is viable depends on the price breaks.

The other matter is that of quality. When I last bought the Honda cowl and seat unit screws a few years ago the quality was appalling. Clearly Honda just
    buy these in from an OEM supplier and they don’t make em like they used to.

Buying quantity (and quality) is where our Club can act collectively for all members in getting some of these parts problems solved. It’s great that we have members
    taking the intiative in doing research and getting some prices together, and also great to see there is some demand from members too.

I would like to see the Club get some structure to this “Spare Parts Development” topic and I will be asking to Club Committee to look at this so we can
    all benefit from our collective buying power.

Glenn had some screws made up a few years ago with “Cross Head” drives instead of the standard “Slot” heads. Quality was much better than the
    Honda parts so for those not worried about keeping things absolutely original by having the cross heads meant there was a bit of security against the nightmare
    of slipping your screwdriver out and down the paintwork. Maybe Glenn still has some details of that exercise? (although prices will have changed since then.)

Another recent member initiative on Parts was Wim’s footrest rubbers. These have turned out to be excellent and a great success. In future I would like to
    see more support from our Club in supporting some of these initiatives.

Comments please….. :D

Anonymous
    Inactive

Cross Posted with NAT…. seems cowl screws might not be available then!

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi all – Steve’s right I did get some seat cowel bolts made up – it’s actually a stainless allen key contersunk headed screw in a stainless collar machined to be the same profile as the original cowel bolts. I still have a few left at the oringinal price I paid for them – £2 each or 6 for £10 incl. UK postage. Just a reminder to all that you can make your own washers that sit underneath out of plastic milk carton very easily too.

As Steve say’s the allen key head is musch sager and an allen key takes up less room in the bike tool kit than a big slot head screw driver too as well as taking the headache/worry of the dreaded slipping screwdrive scars to the paintwork – I’d forgot about them until recently. If no one on here is interested then I’ll stick some on eBay.

Cheers.. Glenn

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Sorry finger trouble – that should read
    “the allen key head is much safer and an allen key takes up less room in the bike tool kit”

Nat_P

HI,

I am happy to speak to Phill and will ask him for 3 prices if everyone in agreement.
    How about …………….

1. Copy Originals.
    2. Copy screws, but with a cross head
    3. Copy screws with an allen head.

When I get a reply will obviously post it up on here and everyone can then choose.

Everyone happy with that ?

Regards,
    Nat

SteveB

Nat
    good work, i prefer screws with allen heads ,
    not unlike these I have seen these on ebay, i believe these are the same dimensions as the seat cover bolts ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-FLANGED-BUTTON-HEAD-SOCKET-SCREW-DOME-M6-X-20-/370170918888?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&hash=item562fe7f7e8#ht_1226wt_952

steve

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.