New member introductions

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum New member introductions

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    1100rAdmin

WELCOME TO THE CLUB to new members here 😎

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Nick here from the UK. Finally got my hands on a CB1100RC after many years !

The bike was imported from Holland. Dutch registration number was MD-80-VB if anyone knows of it ?

Its in fair condition, just had full brake service with new pistons etc.

Some crazing on seat unit.

Clutch sounds likes its about to shake the engine to bits below 2000 revs. Nice and quite at those revs with clutch pulled so will have to just turn the tickover up for now !
    Is this a bearing or rubber bush issue in the clutch ? Was told the noise is a bit of a standard Honda clutch issue ?

Registered the bike as an import on the Customs and Excise NOVA database and no VAT to pay.

Will insure it tomorrow hopefully (need to find someone who will insure a bike without a UK number plate – must be some out there as it has to be insured to get it registered) and then to stick some tape on the headlamp for the MOT as it’s a euro headlamp (anyone know where to put the tape ?).

Then I should be able to get an age related plate as I have all the Dutch registration documents.

It’s great to be an owner and member and hopefully meet up with some of you at some point.

Sorry for asking questions already and I’ve only been here a few minutes !

Cheers

Nick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Nick,welcome to the club.The clutchnoise can the rubbers in it,there are new sets of rubbers availeble (Wout has them)Also think it`s wise to syncronise the carbs or atleast check it. Cheers, Wim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the message Wim. I’ll look Wout up and try the rubbers it’s the only thing spoiling the bike as it’s really loud. I have some photos when the last service was done recently and the carbs were stripped and balanced then (at least I saw the gauges in a picture !). I’ll get some pictures up once MOTd etc.
    Cheers
    Nick

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi Nick and welcome.

As Wim has said the clutch noise can often be reduced with a carb balance but the clutch rubbers are 30 plus years old and they do become hard with time. I’ve not fitted one of Wout’s kits yet but there are some good reports from guy’s on the 1100f forum. They are reasonably simple to fit as well so worth a try. The good news is that many 11R’s are noisy but it’s harmless.

In the UK the best insurance quote’s I’ve found are from Peter James Insurance. His policies are unlimited mileage, give automatic European recovery for you and the bike and he offers a discount for club members. However not sure about unregistered bikes so give him a call. http://www.peterjamesinsurance.co.uk/QuickQuote_Bike_Intro.aspx

You can usually see triangle shapes on the headlight glass where you need to align the beam deflector. When taking a UK bike into Europe the deflector is between 8 and 9 o’clock looking at the front of the bike. I can only assume it would be on the other side being European model.

Regards
    Trev

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome Nick. Congrats on your new arrival. Be aware howevver that some mot stations will fail the headlight due to it being from an import where the dipped beam will point to the rright and not the left. Applying tape is not always accepted. I only relate this from experience with my RB that was exported to France and had the headlight changed to a right hand dip one then reimported to the UK and failed because of this issue. Easy solution is fit a CB900 lens.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks all for the help. Insured the bike (covered for 30 days until registered) with Peter James. Spoke to the MOT guy who suggested I cover the headlamp as it will be European so that will be fine until I can find a replacement. AndyJ what model CB900 lens will fit ? I thought they were round ? Mailing Wout about the rubbers so its all coming along nicely. Thanks again all. Nick

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi Nick and welcome to the ‘gang’…

One cause of rattling like a ‘bag of nails’ below 2000 rpm can be the three loose bolts below the timing plate on the LH side of the bike (when sitting on it). Fix is simple – remove the LH timing covers, remove the timing gear and plate, clean up loose bolts and degrease the threads, apply a dab of loctite and reaasemble – job done. It’s simple and quick – did mine over 12 years ago with no recurrance – reckon that’s why the previous owner was selling it..!!

Don’t forget the MPH stickers on the KPH speedo too Nick. Your MOT will be on the frame number like the insurance – DVLA office will add the reg no. and stamp the documents so you can Tax it – then you get a new insurance certificate. It’s a hassle but worth it in the end Nick.

Cheers.. Glenn

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glenn,
    Good call. I think I may have both issues. Definitely the clutch but after listening I may have the timing plate issue. Which may explain why its so loud. Wout is sending me the new clutch rubbers so will do that first which will hopefully make it a lot quieter and then easier to hear any other noises.
    Regarding the speedo the MOT guy never mentioned that strangely and I specifically asked him what to do, but he may have forgotten. Not managed to get it to the MOT yet due to other household issues (wife wanting DIY done !)
    Got the import pack from the DVLA as well now.
    Cheers
    Nick

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi Nick, if it were me I’d do the timing plate bolts first – transformed mine from a teeth jarring ‘bag of nails’ clatter below 2000 rpm to a very quiet motor – you can check the clutch chatter by pulling the clutch in – the clutch is quiet with the lever pulled in.

Cheers.. Glenn

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Nick

I found a website that states the headlamp for the CX650ED 33120MC5601 is a replacement for the RC/RD 33120MA3761. I can not confirm this but CMSNL.com do have one for sale €91.50.

Trev

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Nick

Just found a new CX650ED lamp in Crawley. It’s on Ebay item number 111144559237.

Anonymous
    Inactive

You’re a star again Trev. Its been ordered and despatched already ! I’ll let you know if it does the job. That’s a real bonus.
    Cheers again
    Nick

MarkK

Hello Boys and Girls
    I thought it was about time that I introduced myself. I’m Mark living on the edge of the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire, and joined up with the club at Stratford this year. The aim of joining was to find a good original or restored bike, as I didn’t want yet another project. I’m currently gathering the bits to restore a couple of VF1000R bikes, one of which, it turns out, used to belong to a chap in the club, Paul Ashworth.

He just happened to be sitting at the end of the club stand at Stafford when I mentioned, whilst filling in the application form, that one of the bikes I was restoring came from the Isle of Man with a blown up engine. Paul looked up a little surprised and said that he used to have one of those! I laughed and said that I bet his wasn’t pink with black stripes….and then he looked even more surprised and said that it was!

So having joined the club and got access to the forum, I spotted Nat’s advert for his CB1100RD. After a couple of long chats and many detailed photos we did a deal over the phone subject to seeing the bike in a couple of weeks. I’ve bought a few things in the past from photos which have always have turned out to be a disappointment, and I guess I am a bit fussy. But there were no such issues with Nat’s bike as it is in stunning condition, and a real credit to the guy for carefully balancing the originality and restoration. The bike looks like a mint, original machine with a tiny bit of patina on the un-restored wheels, callipers etc. In all, it looks like a 1 year old bike, except for the fairing which look new….probably better than new.

I’ve had the bike a couple of weeks now and can’t stop drooling over it! It has also come home as it’s a ‘DD’ registration, first registered in Gloucester. So I will be riding up and down the roads in Gloucester over the next few month fully expecting someone to jump out saying…that’s my old bike!

So that’s my intro. I’m very interested in originality, so will be asking some dumb questions over the coming months and years. The first I have is about frame numbers…is there a list or structure of frame numbers in existence for the B, C and D bikes?

Mark Kempson

20131193a_zpscd6882e5.jpg

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hello Mark and welcome. I met Nat at Box Hill in September and I have to say his bike is a lovely clean bike. I’m sure you will find it a nice addition to your collection.

Engine and Frame numbers

RB Engine# SC05E-200xxxx Frame# SC05-200xxxx
    RC Engine# SC05E-210xxxx Frame# SC08-200xxxx
    RD Engine# SC05E-220xxxx Frame# SC08-210xxxx

Trev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.