New member introductions

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum New member introductions

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    JohnS

Hello Everyone,

Just a few words to introduce myself, as one of the clubs newest members.
    My name is John, living on Bribie Island, an island off the coast of Queensland,Australia, about 60klm north of Brisbane.
    I own a RD which is road registered and pampered to the max. It has a RB engine in it put in by a previous owner (originally German delivery), so its past would be really interesting to know.
    Have always been a fan of these wonderful machines, and look forward to talking lots.

Regards, JohnS

JohnS

Hi All, Just like to introduce myself as a new member of the club, John S

I live on a lovely Island off the coast of Queensland, Australia, about 60klm north of Brisbane.
    Have been an admirer of these beautiful bikes since seeing them in the showroom of my local dealership. owned an RC long ago and had to sell it due to finances and regretted it ever since. However I corrected that foolish act about 8 months ago and purchased a slightly neglected RD, that is road registered.
    As seen in the attached pic, a previous owner has put a Castrol decal on it, which I think is a good touch. It also has an RB engine in it, rather than the original RD. It was originally a German delivery so if any member recognises it I would be very interested.
    Thanks for reading and look forward to be part of the community.

JohnS
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1419[/ATTACH]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Welcome to the club John,
    You have a nice RD overthere.
    The RB engine looks very good in your RD.

Regards from Holland,

Wout.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

@RossW 3006 wrote:

Hi,

I have just re-joined the club, after many years of absence. I was in the club very shortly after it was started, but time was short and the ‘RD’ just languished in the garage. I took it out a few times, twice to the classic bike racing at Chimay, and I think I took it to the club track days at Cadwell a couple of times, but it started to develop a tendency to pour the contents of the fuel tank out of the overflows. I took the carbs off to be ultrasonically cleaned, and they never made it back on.

However, re-joining the club is the first step in getting the bike back on the road for the summer. I doubt there’s much major wrong with it, but suspect that as, even when I was using it, the clutch plates were sticking, so getting it into gear might be “entertaining”. I have a split in the welding under one of the silencers (probably due to internal rust), but we shall see.

I’m quite happy to “get stuck in”, having rebuilt the engine in my 1,300 mile RD500 (it had lived its life in a private collection in Italy – to the detriment of every single rubber seal).

I bought the CB perhaps 20-odd years ago, and it had 1,700 miles on the clock. I doubt it has significantly more now – probably a few thousand, so my main problems are going to be seals, and stuff being “stuck”. Possibly a little rust, but hopefully not a major rebuild.

I’ll probably try and “lurk” on the forum a bit , trying to find answers to the questions which have no doubt been asked before, but if I get really stuck I shall ask.

Regards,
    Ross

Hi Ross and welcome back. From the sound of things you have a few small jobs to do to get your bike back on the road. Leaking from the carb overflow is quite common on these bikes. I think the main issue is that we take them off the road for winter and any fuel left deteriorates. Hopefully a good clean and some fresh fuel is all that’s require. With low mileage like that the rest should be quite good.
    Look forward to seeing the bike once it going.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

@JohnS 3038 wrote:

Hi All, Just like to introduce myself as a new member of the club, John S

I live on a lovely Island off the coast of Queensland, Australia, about 60klm north of Brisbane.
    Have been an admirer of these beautiful bikes since seeing them in the showroom of my local dealership. owned an RC long ago and had to sell it due to finances and regretted it ever since. However I corrected that foolish act about 8 months ago and purchased a slightly neglected RD, that is road registered.
    As seen in the attached pic, a previous owner has put a Castrol decal on it, which I think is a good touch. It also has an RB engine in it, rather than the original RD. It was originally a German delivery so if any member recognises it I would be very interested.
    Thanks for reading and look forward to be part of the community.

JohnS
    [IMG]http://www.cb1100r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1419&stc=1[/IMG]

Hi John
    Welcome to the club. Looks like a very tidy bike you’ve found there. Coincidently one of our German members was at our international meeting on the Isle of Man this year on his RB fitted with an RD engine.

Ride safe and enjoy that good weather.

JohnS

Thanks TrevH and WoutV. 😎

Steve Doyle
    Keymaster

Hi John
    i have the RB, that Trev mentioned. I’ve changed the clutch & casing and tacho take off, so at least it looks like a B! Only difference now is the Alternator casing. Pity we’re not closer, could have traded engines! Welcome aboard, Steve

JohnS

Thanks Steve, When I purchased it, all I looked at was the SCO5, engine and SCO8 on the frame and it was the quietest engine I have ever heard so I parted out the cash. Im sure the seller had no idea. It was only when I got it home I studied things a bit more. I think it just adds to the bikes singularity and a bit of mystique to its history. Im sure you feel the same Steve.
    Dare I say, a swap might even bring a tear to both our eyes!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello John,

All R engines numbers start with SC05.
    When you have a RD engine your number is SC05-22xxxxx.
    A RB starts with SC05-20xxxxx and a RC with SC05-21xxxxx.
    I hope this will help you John.

Wout.

JohnS

Thanks Wout, mine is SCO5E2000967

John

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all
    I am also a new member of the club.
    i live just south of Wollongong, about 100 km South of Sydney.
    i bought my RB around 1983 or 84. An ex race bike but had most original parts still on it. I’ve been collecting parts since then but never had the time to do anything with it. I thought it was worth restoring as it’s an early one with VIN SC05 2000026. Now it’s completely stripped and after blasting the frame I now need to find or make some new seat mounting brackets.
    It’ll be slow but I’ll get there.
    i also got an RC with no fairing and other crash damage to steal bits from but who knows, that may also end up restored.
    No doubt I’ll be posting or searching for help some time soon. Hope to be able to help others also.
    That’s enough from me.
    Cheers
    Dave

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi Dave and welcome to our world.
    That sure is a very early RB you have. Since only Australia had the original RB1’s I know a lot of members who would like to have an original early bike like that. Hopefully you will be able to save the RC as well as I never like to see these bike scraped.

JohnS

Welcome Dave,

I have relatives very close to you that I visit once a year. I would love to see that RB in the future when Im down that way.

Regards, JohnS

Peter Hunt
    Participant

Welcome Dave!
    I reckon try and save that C if you can.
    Cheers.

TerryC

Hi Dave
    I also live in Newcastle and also have an RB1(60) and an RC which is that close to being totally restored it isn’t funny.
    regards
    Terry

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.