New member introductions

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum New member introductions

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    AndyL

Welcome to the club Mark and the forum and congratulations on your RD… it looks a beauty.

And rather a nice collection you’ve got yourself there. Is that a drum brake Water Bucket front left?

MarkK

Yes Andy, it’s an early GT750 with the drum brake…which works very well! Right at the back of the gang there’s a very early GS750 with a single front disc which requires a bit of planning to slow down, especially if the disc is wet.

I used to have a GS750 back in the late 70s / early 80s when I lived in Melbourne, Australia, which is where I first came across the CB1100R. I seem to remember that the Honda was the price of a decent new car back then, and way out of my price range. I saw them race a few times, with Wayne Gardner and Wayne Clark throwing them around like 250s! I seem to remember starting grids with half the bikes being CB1100Rs, and that made me want one more! But moving back to the UK in the mid 80s, buying house and working etc. got in the way…until now.

30 years is a long time to wait!!

Glad to see that my ‘D’ has frame number and engine number in the ‘range’….not surprised though.

Any ideas on (roughly) how many bikes are left in the UK / rest of world? Out of the 4000 made and with a race history I would guess that it’s a high percentage of survival compared with a standard production bike. Have they ever been cheap enough that they would have been scrapped?

Where in the world are they most appreciated?

Mark

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello to everybody:

Want to say hello from the other side of the big pond. Have owned a 1982 1100RC for five years now and want to share with all you gentlemen that this is the finest riding bike I have ever owned. I see most of you on the 1100F as well as the CBXWorld sites so getting any information from any of you will be easy. My bike was exported to France originally, went through England, thence to Canada which is where I purchased it. Getting it across the border was easy as the prior owner was a great help and the bike is now titled and registered in Kansas. Have enjoyed the bike thoroughly, but the R’s do not command the attention that my CBX’s get. Guess that is because this bike was never imported into the USA.

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]1202[/ATTACH]

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice to hear from you John. You have a nice example of the marque from the look of it. Popularity in the states is certainly increasing in the R as they start to become more well known and admired over on your side of the pond.
    The 1100F.net site has surely paid a large part in this. Keep on spreading the good news and enjoying the big beastie.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi John and welcome.
    We have a few members and R owner over in America but they are rare bikes over there.

Take care and enjoy.

JacquesT

Hello Everybody

Some words to introduced myself.
    I’m Jacques living in Lyon (France). I have now 4 R and a VF1000R rothmans.
    My R are: one B, one C and two D. One D is fitted with CR33 keihin carbs and Ohlins shock
    I began my collection 1 year ago and i had luck to find two R in italia.
    So i have still a little work to finish the italian’s beauties but i have 2 D perfectly running.
    Feel free to ask me about all those wonderfull bikes
    Nice to meet you on road.
    Jacques T

AndyL

@JacquesT 2999 wrote:

Hello Everybody

Some words to introduced myself.
    I’m Jacques living in Lyon (France). I have now 4 R and a VF1000R rothmans.
    My R are: one B, one C and two D. One D is fitted with CR33 keihin carbs and Ohlins shock
    I began my collection 1 year ago and i had luck to find two R in italia.
    So i have still a little work to finish the italian’s beauties but i have 2 D perfectly running.
    Feel free to ask me about all those wonderfull bikes
    Nice to meet you on road.
    Jacques T

Jacques, Bonjour et bienvenue sur le site.
    Vous avez la collection complète, non?

JacquesT

il me manque une F. si quelqu’un en a une à vendre…

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Hi Jacques

Welcome to the club. To have collected all those bikes in such a short time you clearly enjoy R ownership, it would be great to see a picture of your R collection.

Kind regards
    Trev

RossW

Hi,

I have just re-joined the club, after many years of absence. I was in the club very shortly after it was started, but time was short and the ‘RD’ just languished in the garage. I took it out a few times, twice to the classic bike racing at Chimay, and I think I took it to the club track days at Cadwell a couple of times, but it started to develop a tendency to pour the contents of the fuel tank out of the overflows. I took the carbs off to be ultrasonically cleaned, and they never made it back on.

However, re-joining the club is the first step in getting the bike back on the road for the summer. I doubt there’s much major wrong with it, but suspect that as, even when I was using it, the clutch plates were sticking, so getting it into gear might be “entertaining”. I have a split in the welding under one of the silencers (probably due to internal rust), but we shall see.

I’m quite happy to “get stuck in”, having rebuilt the engine in my 1,300 mile RD500 (it had lived its life in a private collection in Italy – to the detriment of every single rubber seal).

I bought the CB perhaps 20-odd years ago, and it had 1,700 miles on the clock. I doubt it has significantly more now – probably a few thousand, so my main problems are going to be seals, and stuff being “stuck”. Possibly a little rust, but hopefully not a major rebuild.

I’ll probably try and “lurk” on the forum a bit , trying to find answers to the questions which have no doubt been asked before, but if I get really stuck I shall ask.

Regards,
    Ross

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi

I recently joined the club, I do not own a R yet but I am looking to buy one soon, would prefer a project R as i like rebuilding Honda CB models, so if anyone has one in the back of their garage they wish to sell please contact me

I currently own some Honda CB1100F 1983 Models and have had a few CB900F and CB750f models in the past

Having built many Honda CB engines over the years i know them very well so if anybody needs any advice do not hesitate to ask

Regards Keith

TerryC

Hi Keith
    There is a real rough RC in Australia
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-CB1100R-/281498898883?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item418aa451c3
    regards
    Terry

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

@TerryC 3008 wrote:

Hi Keith
    There is a real rough RC in Australia
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-CB1100R-/281498898883?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item418aa451c3
    regards
    Terry

Terry
    That’s a lot of kilometres. With the Aus $ to UK pound at about 2:1, makes this around £4K. The important parts are there so if they are original as the owner states it may make a nice R if you have the time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Terry

Yes that is rough, some people should never be let loose near a motorcycle, $8000 Aussie dollars = £4400 and its done over 100,000 kilometers, cost a fortune to ship half way round the world before you get stung by UK import duty
    Hopefully a down under member will rescue it

Regards Keith

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all
    An introduction from another new member from Australia.
    I bought my first R about 1992 or 93. It’s an RB ex race bike with VIN number SC05 2000026. Stripped it down then got sidetracked with houses and work. I’ve been collecting the parts it needs since then. Now ready to start repair and rebuild. The other one I have is an RC. I bought it recently. It’s very rough but had most of the hard to get parts still on it. Haven’t decided what to do with it yet.
    i hope to get and give some good help from the club.

Cheers
    Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 152 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.