What did you do on your "R" today

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum What did you do on your "R" today

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 261 total)
  • Author
    PaulA

Took advantage of the sunshine,set off from home,picked up the TT course at Ballacraine rode to Ballaugh had a brilliant few hours at the Festival of Jurby took loads of pics,spent far too much time stalking the legend that is John McGuinness,bought ice cream,rejoined the TT course at Ballaugh and completed the circuit back to Ballacraine,the old girl didnt miss a beat and got some admiring glances which says a lot for the appeal of these things given other machinery on show.
    Oh and yesterday had coffee with Phil McCallen

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Name dropper…!!

SteveB

i have removed the CB750 clocks that were fitted to the bike when i got it, and fitted CB900F clocks ( breakers yard ), and the oil temp gauge ( german ebay )
    the steel meter bracket came from a UK forum member, the black plastic meter panel came from wout in Holland as did the mechanical tacho drive .
    I have checked the cam journal clearance on the new cap, its .0025″ .the one i took off was .0035″ so there is 1 thou difference.I am assuming its ok, the manual says max clearance is .007″ but i cant find minimum clearance.
    Next job i might as well check shims whilst the cam cover is off.
    I also have to figure out how to connect the small lights in the back of the 900 clocks onto my 1100 harness,
    the oil temp and idiot lights just plugged into the harness and works ok.I expect i will have to join some 900 wires into my 1100 harness to get the back lights to work ( without altering the 1100 harness ).
    the new clocks have 43000 miles on them , i dont know the real mileage of my bike, but i think 43k is more realistic than the 11k that were on the 750 clocks.

stevetacho001_zps37323299.jpgtacho003_zpsa1d6522a.jpg

SteveB

i have now done the shims ,i only need 4 new ones after swapping them about,

clocks004_zps8b550008.jpg

BrianC
    Participant

Got the engine apart this week. Just got it in big chunks at the moment but things don’t look too bad. The barrel is stuck of course. Had a brilliant plan to get it off, except it didn’t work. My super jig was pulling the base of all the liners and I considered the possibility that it might pull the liner. Na, no way, a 10mm threaded rod? But yes, one of the liners moved with only moderate tension on the puller. I was pulling on all four liners to distribute the load. Anyway on to plan B. Hammered a bicycle spoke flat (0.5mm), filed and worked it to scratch around at the crap down the stud holes. Some progress but she’s a slow job. I’ve managed to get 8 studs removed without too much pain, one from the circle of 4 that are the main culprits. Plan C is to drill one or two small holes in the barrel around the stud hole so that I can inject CRC and compressed air to force out the crap. Anyone tried this approach? I’d fill the holes with a filler / silastic before repainting, so you wouldn’t see it. Any thoughts good people?

AndyL

I’ve had one of mine soaking for months and applying lots of heat every weekend… not moved a bloody inch. I have been toying with the idea of producing in a special clamp cum separator that grips the barrels tight but between thew fins so that you don’t break them and then clamps across the crankcases so you can lever the two apart. Hadn’t even thought about the liners moving. Back to the drawing board for me I guess.

Good luck Brian.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello guys,

I have the same problem as you all have.
    At this moment i,m working on a R engine which is the worst of all engine,s i think.
    But i have made a tool a few years ago and that tool can help to remove the cilinder block.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]904[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]905[/ATTACH]

I have good results with this simple home made tool.
    The engine i,m working on at this moment gives me a lot problems also with this tool and heating it will not come off.
    Good luck to you all and be carefull with the finns.

BrianC
    Participant

Great minds and all that….. Wout, your special tool looks exactly the same as mine!!! I have four, one pulling each cylinder. Unfortunately, as I said one of the liners started to move. I am only using a 10mm rod in the middle, yours looks a size or two bigger than that. I’ll post up photos of my other tooling if it works.

StephenS

Decided to go for a spin today got bike out looked like rain so as I was pushing it back in to the garage hit a bump and it came off its “moovamoto” stand and smacked into the brick pillar. Now I have a thumb size dent on an other wise almost mint RC fuel tank. To say I am king annoyed would be the understatment of the century. Can anyone recommend somone/company who can fix dent and paint back to right condition.

Not a good holiday so far.

AndyL

@StephenS 1517 wrote:

Decided to go for a spin today got bike out looked like rain so as I was pushing it back in to the garage hit a bump and it came off its “moovamoto” stand and smacked into the brick pillar. Now I have a thumb size dent on an other wise almost mint RC fuel tank. To say I am king annoyed would be the understatment of the century. Can anyone recommend somone/company who can fix dent and paint back to right condition.

Not a good holiday so far.

Bummer. I remember my old man forlornly telling me he had knocked my bike over when I garaged it at their house before I had a permanent home. Heartbreaking isn’t it?

I had a spare tank and intend to get the damaged one repaired sometime this year. I spoke to a local paint shop who thought it shouldn’t be a major problem – I also spoke to Dream MAchine who said they could do it without issue. They’re not the cheapest but the quality is good from memory.

Sorry to hear your news

BrianC
    Participant

Know how you feel Stephen. Can’t recommend anyone near you sorry (from here in Oztraylia). Not long after I got my D, I was backing into the shed aound a bit of a corner and I over balalanced it and me. Slowly it went down with me trying to pull it back, but no. Ever so gently it lent against the next bike (the recently restored CBX Z) and crunched a hole in the tail piece and taillight on the D while another bit put a nice gouge in the crank end cap of the CBX. NOT A HAPPY CHAPPY.

Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi Steve, you might want to Google “Paintless dent removal” – I had a ‘car park’ dent in my car door and got it fixed for about £50..

Cheers.. Glenn

StephenS

thanks unfortunatly its taken the paint off as well. Just got off the phone to dream machine to do a total paint job. Only thing is now do I strip it completly and do the frame as well while its apart agh

SteveB

Today i have bought a brand new old stock 1100RD electronic tacho still in original box.
    when it arrives i from Germany i will put photo on.
    steve

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Steve
    You have been very lucky to find one of those. Well done mate.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 261 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.