What did you do on your "R" today

Home Forums CB1100R Owners Club Forum What did you do on your "R" today

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 261 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Kirkham
    Keymaster

Hi Steve, be very wary riding with dodgy float shut offs – I had a similar problem with my RB some years back after having it laid up for a few months – and after one ‘spirited’ ride out on dry roads I had a monumental rear end slide that very nearly had me off. The only thing I could trace the slide back to was petrol on the rear tyre….

So be careful and make the time to clean out the float bowls PDQ Steve.. :)

Cheers.. Glenn

Anonymous
    Inactive

The R,s for the bikers classic in Belgium for my friends and me are ready now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1066[/ATTACH]

SteveB

@GlennK 2168 wrote:

Hi Steve, be very wary riding with dodgy float shut offs –
    So be careful and make the time to clean out the float bowls PDQ Steve.. :)
    Cheers.. Glenn

further investigation i have found the petrol filter that fits inside the tank on the petrol tap is split / incomplete ,i have ordered another one, i will fit it ,then clean out the float bowls.
    steve
    According to the Honda dealer there was only 1 left in the whole of europe.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

@WoutV 2171 wrote:

The R,s for the bikers classic in Belgium for my friends and me are ready now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]1066[/ATTACH]

Hi Wout

How many R’s are you Dutch guys taking? We have two coming over from the UK.

Trev

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Steve
    The petrol tank filter was the cause of sticky floats and leaking fuel on my Super Dream many years ago. I wish you luck.

Trev

Anonymous
    Inactive

@TrevH 2174 wrote:

Hi Wout

How many R’s are you Dutch guys taking? We have two coming over from the UK.

Trev

We are coming with 11 dutch R,s to Spa.

Trevor Hughes
    Keymaster

Thought I would change the plugs in my RB before the trip to SPA next month. I found these on Ebay £18.35 for 10 plugs, a good deal I think and very quick delivery.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290768572779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1768wt_1018

Anonymous
    Inactive

Made a short trip with the RD to the previous owner tonight. He owns now a very nice cb1300 with RD design.[ATTACH=CONFIG]1097[/ATTACH]

Nat_P

I also have a CB1300, but naked. All I need now is a naked lovely RB1.

Think you should sell me 1 of yours .

NiccoloP

@Nat_P 2222 wrote:

I also have a CB1300, but naked.

Hey Nat, would you do a favor?
    can you take some measures from the cb1300 swingarm?
    I’m possibly thinking to fit one on my cb1100rd :p

If so I’d need:

-total length
    -width: both where the front and rear axles are
    -distance from the front swingarm axle to the rear shocks eyelet

thanks!
    niccolò

SteveB

I cleaned the carbs out and found muck in the float bowls and under the needle jet on worst dripping carb, i put them together and it was ok for a while, ( it only dripped out of 1 carb instead of 3 carbs ,) and that was only when the bike wasnt running with the petrol tap turned on.
    I thought/hoped that little problem would soon sort itself out.
    I have just been for a ride and it started dripping badly again even whilst running slowly, the only time it stops is when revving the bike , so i assume it is using the extra fuel thats dripping into the engine.
    is it the float needles or floats or maybe something else ?
    help !
    time is running out for mallory
    thanks
    steve

Nat_P

Hi Steve,

It has to be the needles or the the float itself or the pin that the float pivots on. It will be dirt related, so either the needle has gum on it or its slot, or the float could be punctured or its pivot needle is gummed up stopping it from going up and down correctly.
    As I say I had this issue myself and it took me nearly 100 miles of very varied riding with wide open throttle for the problem to cure itself. Always use fresh petrol. I found that Tescos 99 ron helped. You have to work the petrol tap, open for the bowl to fill up, then closed to empty the bowls, then open again etc etc…………….if that doesn’t work then all you can do im afraid is carbs off for a proper clean. Its a very common problem for all honda’s of the period.

Regards,

Nat.

SteveB

Nat
    the needles are new, as is the fuel and petrol filter inside the petrol tank. I will have another go at cleaning out the float bowls again.
    Maybe it will take a while to settle down after cleaning. I will also fill it up and go for a ride up the motorway, hopefully all the muck will get drawn through .
    As it only does it at standstill on tickover , i dont think it will affect me or anybody else whilst riding round Mallory.But i wont take that risk ,so i will keep persevering.
    the last resort is a catch tank .
    steve

Nat_P

Mmmm……are the needles just a fraction too big/tight ? Nothing a very light rub with 1200 grit wet/dry wouldnt sort.
    Does seem to be a mystery, but it can ONLY be floats/needles issue. I am not sure about catch tank , seems a lot of work , but of course it solves the issue temporarily. As a question , and i have not tried this, how about a half open fuel tap ? Does it even do this ? Maybe partially block the vent hose on the fuel cap or stick a tap on it.
    I hope it clears up for you, not sure what else to suggest.

Regards,

Nat.

SteveB

Nat, i will have a go again when it stops raining, i will measure all my needles with vernier and use smallest/loosest one.
    I have also been told that its not unknown for the overflow tube thats fitted in the float bowl to have a tiny split in it ! there fore it would leak even iff needles are all ok.
    I have a spare set of 900 carbs with bowls and needles to use. I cant put the 900 carbs back on because they are in 100 pieces now .
    thanks for advice.
    steve
    ps, catch tank isnt a lot of work, its a small empty plastic bottle .

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 261 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.